Users of the MBPS P&C Site are entitled to expect that any information gathered as a result of that use will be treated within the terms of the NSW Government’s privacy responsibilities and obligations. The NSW Government’s privacy practices are regulated by the New South Wales Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998.
Information we collect
When you look at the pages on the MBPS P&C Site, the computers on which the Site is hosted may automatically record information that identifies, for each page accessed the:
- IP (Internet Protocol) address of the machine which has accessed it
- your top-level domain name (for example, com, gov, au, etc)
- date and time of your visit to the site
- the pages accessed and documents downloaded
- previous site or page visited
- time you spend browsing the site
- type of browser and operating system you have used
How is the collected information used
The information collected during each visit is aggregated with similar logged information and published in statistical reports in order for MBPS P&C to identify usage patterns for the Site. This will assist us in improving the MBPS P&C Site and the services offered on it.
Personal information you provide to MBPS P&C will only be used for the purpose for which it was provided or as otherwise permitted by privacy legislation. MBPS P&C will not disclose or publish information that identifies individual machines, or potentially identifies sub-groupings of addresses, without consent or otherwise in accordance with the New South Wales Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998.
Exceptions to rules of information Collection
MBPS P&C will collect, use and disclose more extensive information than stated above in the following circumstances:
- unauthorised attempts to interfere with or compromises the security of the Site or where it suspects there has been a breach of the laws of the State of New South Wales or Commonwealth of Australia.
- unauthorised attempts to access files which are not published on the MBPS P&C Site pages
- unauthorised tampering or interference with files published on the MBPS P&C Site
- unauthorised attempts to index the contents of the MBPS P&C Site by other sites
- attempts to intercept messages of other users of the MBPS P&C Site
- communications which are defamatory, abusive, vilify individuals or groups of which give rise to a suspicion that an offence is being committed
MBPS P&C reserves the right to make disclosures to relevant authorities where the use of the MBPS P&C raises a suspicion that an offence is being, or has been, committed.
In an event of an investigation, MBPS P&C will provide access to data to any law enforcement agency that may exercise a warrant to inspect our logs.
Securely storing information
Information collected is stored in an appropriately secure format and held for archival purposes. When the information is no longer required for the purpose for which it was collected it is deleted.
Access to information
Information is captured on the computers on which the Site is hosted. Access to the raw data is restricted to a limited numbers of members of the MBPS P&C. Replies to emails, including the original message, are treated as official records and are saved and archived.
Updates to this policy
Due to the nature of the privacy principle for online communication, this policy may be modified or expanded in light of new developments or issues that may arise from time to time. The amended policy will be posted on this site.